SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Tilt in wooden sash window

A quick learner from Paris, VA says:
I have wooden sash windows manufactured by K&K. I tried to remove the window by tilting it in and the balance sprung back and the plactic/metal end is partially broken. The broken piece looks similar to either the 15-190 or 15-197. Can this be replaced? How do I properly remove the window sash again without it springing back? How do I install the new part?
User submitted photos of window parts.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting, and for the pictures. Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult identifying what you have based on this part. Is there any way we can see one that is undamaged? Perhaps from the other balance in the window, or from another identical window elsewhere in the house? Thank you!
A quick learner from VA says:
I would gladly send you a photo of an undamaged part of the balance but I need instructions on how to remove the window without causing any more damage. That's how I got the broken pieces. When I pull the window inwards, is there something else that I need to do to prevent the balance from snapping up once the window is removed?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You will need to raise the sash about four inches, then tilt it in to horizontal position. You should be able to pull up on one side to unhook the tilt clip from the balance shoe, and then do the same for the other side.

By doing this, you lock the shoe in place. Then, with a flat screw driver, push down on the metal part of shoe to release the pressure. Make sure to hold the screw driver firmly, as there is a lot of pressure on the spring. You can see more information on our handy tutorial video.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)