SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Tilt-out vinyl replacement sashes w. Spiral balances...l

A quick learner from Salem, Mass. says:
Just moved into a house with Better Bilt tilt-out replacement windows. Apparently, that co. went out of business. My problem is that about half of the windows refuses to move, or are VERY stiff to move, which means my wife hasn't the power to open/close them. Do I need new spiral channel balances, or is there an easy way to lubricate or loosen their tensions?
Steve

P.S., several are basically stuck shut, also...the locks are in the open position, but I can't even get them up to clear the bottom sill rim. Was about to try a pry bar, but don't trust the strength of the lifting flange across the bottom sash's frame...
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
You could try lubricating them first. For the spiral balance itself, fully extend the spiral from the tube and apply white grease to it. For the track in which the balance sits, we like to use silicone spray. If that doesn't work, then it's likely time for new balances.

I'm not sure about the stuck windows. Can you tell if the balances are rusted shut? Could the frame be warped, as well?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)