Does it really matter whether I use series 600 or series 900

A quick learner from Baltimore, MD says:
Does it really matter whether I use series 600 or series 900 balances? The 900 series looks stronger in the picture. I understand the 900 series has a smaller diameter but does that matter? I am going to order blue bushings.
Thanx
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, it absolutely does matter. You will want to make sure you replace your balances with the exact type (size and tip color) of spiral balance. If you're not certain which ones will work for your application, you can give us the diameter, length of metal portion and color tip. This way we can help you decide.

In the meantime you can follow our Sash Support Balance Guide.
A quick learner from Baltimore, MD says:
Thanx. I will follow your advice and replace exactly what is already there. The sad part is, the original ones were junk. They stopped working after only 6 or 7 years, That's why I was considering a different series. There is a 900 series which is the right length, i.e. 25" and there is plenty of room for it in the channel because the one I am replacing is 5/8". I have 12 windows that seem identical in size and weight, but some have red bushings and some have blue. That's another reason why I thought maybe there was some room for change.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, stick to the same diameters, lengths, and tip colors. Do not forget to order a charging tool like the 75-006 along with your balance order. You will need to rotate the spiral balance roughly about (3) times during the installation. Rotating the spiral balance adds tension. Here is a quick guide on charging tilt window spiral balances. Let us know if you have any further questions or need help choosing the proper replacement balances.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.