SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Tongue length

A landlord from Round Rock says:
I ordered 13 of these locks and they look exactly like the ones I am replacing, but when I installed them the tongue was too short to slide into the groove on the fixed panel and lock. I don't see how I can add a keeper as they are horizontal sliders. Am I out of luck? Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting your question.

Can you move the lock closer to the edge and drill new holes for the screws? The tongue comes in only one size.
A landlord from Austin says:
I thought of that but I am horrible with a drill. I was so surprised they didn't fit as they look pretty much identical. Do you know what window manufacturers used this style of lock? I don't know what kind of windows these are or where any markings to tell me would be. The house was built in 1977 in Texas and the windows are mill finish.
Also, all I really know is that the locks on the windows as of today 1) look like the ones I ordered and 2) all have the tongue broken off. That is to say I don't know if these locks are original or how long the tongues were before they broke. I am guessing.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for updating us on your project. Unfortunately we do not have a lock with a longer tongue (similar to the 90-005). We recommend you have someone who is familiar with window repairs help you install the hardware.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)