Tools and parts neeeded

A quick learner says:
1) If I use the fully assembled series 350 "3340" balances to replace existing worn out balances, do I need to purchase any other parts or would I have any need for the rivit tool?

2) I saw the installation instructions. Do you have either more detailed written instructions or preferably any video instructions. I've never done any window repair and I'm not clear on the function of the take out clips and how the balances come "off" (and then remain "attached to") the sides of the sash.

thanks
Marc, NJ
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
You should not need any special tools to replace balances. You can use a small slotted screwdriver to remove the take out clip - please remember to wear eye protection. Be sure to check your nylon sash carriers (located on the side top of the window sash) as they hold the balance in place on the side of the sash.
A quick learner from NJ says:

- Can you advise the function of the take out clips. Are the balances somehow attached to these clips?
- Do the clips need to come all the way out to remove the sash, or just flip up?
Many thanks,
Marc, NJ
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Please take a look at Swisco's guide on installing and removing channel balances. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
A quick learner from nj says:
Thanks Mike. I have seen the instructions. The function of the take out clips and if they need to be totally removed to remove the sash is still not clear to me. Can you advise please.
Profile picture of Tom
Do not remove the take out clip. You only have to pop out the bottom of the clip - that way the clip will catch the top of the balance and hold it down so the sash can be removed.
A handy person says:
Is there a specific lubricating product you would recommend for aluminum windows to improve sash movement?
Profile picture of Tom
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO 75-077 Slider Slicker Track Lubricant
SWISCO 75-077 Slider Slicker Track Lubricant
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.