SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Top Sash Guide Problem

A home owner from USA says:
I ordered and received 5/8" Top Sash Guide, Kinco (18-166). I replaced the broken ones as illustrated in the video. However, the balancers continue to force through the guides. Is there a different size guide or what else could you recommend as a solution?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Robert, good to see you again. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Sounds like it might be an issue with the balance springs. It's possible that they are too strong for your sash.

Can you tell me what the weight of your sash is? Can you also tell me what numbers are printed on the balances themselves? That will help us determine how strong your springs are in relation to the weight they're supporting. It's just an educated guess, but I think it'll at least get us in the right direction. At the very least, we can eliminate that as a possibility. Let me know!
A quick learner says:
The window weighs 27 lbs. The # on the side of the balance is 29-9 BA CMC.

My neighbor who has the same windows in his home ordered 30" Series 385 Channel Balances w/option 2950. That option indicates that it is more balance resistance than needed for my window sash which would be the 2940 option. What do you recommend and what does the number on my current sash indicate?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, it sounds like your spring is definitely too strong. I would recommend our 2940 option. Two balances with that option can carry a sash weight of 23 through 28 pounds.
A quick learner says:
Thank you Paul for your reply. Out of curiousity, what did the balance # on my current balance I sent you as Tom had requested (29-9 BA CMC) indicate?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Sure! From what I've read, a stamp of 29-9 usually supports a sash weight range of 35 to 38 pounds. Those are heavier than average windows and 29-9 springs are usually special made.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)