SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Top and bottom balances different legnth

A home owner from USA says:
Without Swisco's Web site I wouldn't be able to figure out visually how to repair and replace parts for my windows. I cannot thank you enough for the videos and pictures showing what to do.

I have tilt, triple glass paned windows from Thermal Gard by Season-All the 400 Series that were installed in the 1980's, perhaps 1982. The pivot shoes and the spiral balances are broken and have to be replaced on 2 windows.

Do you know if the top window spiral balance is a different size in length and width from the bottom window spiral balance? I followed Swisco's instructions and measured only a bottom window spiral balance which is 25" long, 5/8" wide, has a red tip, and has a double pins. Thus, I would buy the Swisco S600-25 spiral balance replacement part. The replacement part for the pivot show is Swisco's 15-047.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, good to see you again. I'm so glad to hear our information was helpful to you. We work very hard to ensure that these often-complicated projects become as simple and painless as possible.

As for your question, there's really no standard for the difference between a top sash's balances and the bottom sash's balances. Most times they'll be the same Series, but they are not always the same length. It's always better to double check, just in case, especially for these older model windows.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)