Track that works with new operator

A handy person from Schaumburg, IL says:
I just bought the 39-032 operator to fix my window. When installing it I found out that the wheel on the arm is about twice as thick as the original operator and doesn't fit in the existing track. What tracks do you have that will work with the new operator?

My existing track looks exactly like your 39-504, which you can see has a very narrow opening for the wheel.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
That's odd. I'm wondering if you had a different type of operator originally. We do have tracks to fit the 39-032, but they are surface mounted on the lower face of the sash. Tracks like the 39-504, which matches the style you have, are mounted to the bottom of the sash, but they cannot work with the 39-032. If you can, please send us some photos of your old operator and track and how they relate to your sash. Thanks!
Here is a picture before the old crank was removed. You can see the edge of the track is mounted to the underside of the window frame, with the screws going up. In the picture of the crank on the floor you can see that the wheel is very skinny compared to the 39-032.

Do you have operators with a skinny wheel like this? Did I get the wrong one?
User submitted photo of their window hardware.
This is very weird! You definitely chose the same operator I would have suggested, however I can't seem to find a dual arm operator in this style with a metal bearing at the end of the arm. Would it be possible to install a face mounted track like the 39-505 on the bottom style of the sash? Then you could use the 39-032 operator. The only issue is that you have to make sure you have the clearance on your window for the different style track. Another thought would be to swap out the nylon bearing for the metal bearing from the original operator.

In the meantime, could you tell me the age of the window, or when it was manufactured? That may give us some clues of what can work.
A quick learner says:
I was also thinking the 39-505 track might have to work. It's only 11 3/8" long and the existing track is 13 3/4" long. I could drill holes in the top of the track to mount to the underside of the window and it should be just long enough. I have about 10/16" clearance from the bottom of the window to the frame, and since the 39-505 track is 11/16" high I think I'll have to cut about 1/16 to 1/8" off the bottom of the track.

I was also thinking I could shave off some of the plastic bearing on the 39-032 operator to make it thinner so it would fit in the existing track which is like the 39-504. But I think that has a lot more risk of breaking the bearing and not working.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the windows because I just bought the house from a bank. The windows are vinyl and from the picture in the tax records it looks like some of them were replaced after Sept. 2008.

I guess I'll see if I can make the 39-505 type work.
That sounds like a good plan. I agree that this is your best bet. I wonder if the original installers did something different when they installed the window, or if you just have a setup I've never seen before. Either way, let me know how it works out!
Hi Dave, following up on what I did. I used a track like the 39-505 and had to notch out part of it to make clearance for the operator when closed. Attached are pictures of the notched out channel by itself, side view on the window, end view, and from the bottom.

It wasn't as long as the original track but it's long enough to give a good range of opening. I thought I was going to have to trim the entire edge that hangs down so it would clear the window frame when closed, but it just made it as is.

So, replacing the operator wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but it works now and I didn't have to buy a new window. Thanks for making these products available.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Thank you for the update! You're right, that was a bit of handy work, but it seems like everything worked out. Let us know if you ever need anything else.
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.