Tricky window

A quick learner from Pittsburgh, PA says:
Hi, all,
Last week I repaired my first DH window with new pivot locks and balances (thanks to Paul) and feel confident of my skills.
Moving on to the next window, I'm completely stymied. The window (Thermal-Gard) is a teast 20 years old and has top-mounted tilt latches, pivot locks (one broken) and spiral balances (both broken). The sashes move up and down but won't stay in place; I expected that. But I am not able to tilt the windows at all--they just won't tilt in for removal. The sash did have a 3rd tilt latch on the bottom rail so I was able to remove the lower sash. But I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into now. Is this really a tilt-in, or is it non-tilt?
I'm stumped. Once I know, I'll be able to place an order.

Thanks,
Barb
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello, Barb. Are you able to send us some photos of the sash that won't tilt in. I would like to specifically see a front, top, and bottom view of the sash as well as the channels it fits into. Thanks!
A quick learner from Pittsburgh says:
Hi, Paul,
I've attached many photos, as requested. Also, the channels are metal. In addition to the frame, both jams have pieces of light-weight plastic (pictured) that have bent metal "springs" inside that may act as a seal--you'll know.

Let me know any addl info you might need.

Thanks,
Barb
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
As for why the sash won't tilt in, there could be a lot of reasons. First, look at our related videos on the right side of this page. They should offer you some insight. It also looks like your balance is disconnected from the shoe, so try to fix that before anything else.

Now, when reinstalling the sash, make sure that the bottom sash pivots bars (26-356) are in the cam of the pivot shoe (15-070). If the sash and all its components are installed and adjusted properly, the window should operate correctly. Also make sure that you raise your sash a few inches before tilting it in.
A quick learner from Pittsburgh says:
Last question about this: the tips of the old spiral balances were red but the window weighs 19 lbs. Should I get s stronger balance?

Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I see you purchased our S600-24 and S600-27. Both Red Tip options for these balances can support 19 pounds easily. I see no reason to use a stronger spring, especially since having a spring that is too strong can cause complications.
A quick learner from Pittsburgh, PA says:
I wanted to post this for other owners of old Thermal-Gard windows who have the same problem I had posted, that the sashes won't tilt in even though there are spiral balances and pivot shoes. Whoever installed the windows put the tilt latches on the bottom of the sashes instead of on top. The only thing I can do is move the windows up and down, or remove them, but they can't be tilted unless I could devise a way to reconfigure the hardware. With winter coming on, I'll be happy just to close them.

After all your assistance, I wanted to post the solution.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the update! Looking at your first photo it appears that the tilt latches are at the top of the sash. Loosen up the screw in the tilt latch, as it's possible it is screwed in too tight and is preventing you from sliding them over to tilt the sash out of the frame.
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.