SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Trouble with 82-073 and 82-229

A handy person from Wilmington, NC says:
I purchased this door handle / lock and it is definitely the correct part as it matches the old hardware exactly, and it seems to fit, except that the tabs that go into the door (the lock)are too long, so I can't tighten the handle to both sides of the door. It looks like the metal tabs have to be cut, can you please give me some guidance here? Which side should be cut. One side looks like it has precut areas designed to be easily removed. The other does not. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like you will need to trim the key cylinder spindle to fit the door size. Watch the video below for more information. You can use your old spindle size as reference.
A professional from California says:
Both inside and outside tails/tabs/spindles should reach as close to center of the mortise as possible. There should be some space between them. The tails should not touch when the handle is tightened. I leave the mortise in the door and position the handles over the edge of the door so I can see where they are centered and need to be cut. See picture. I know the mortise lock is a little larger than life, but it should work as a reference.
User submitted image of their door hardware.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)