SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Trouble with previous custom balance order

A home owner from Antioch Tenn says:
Hello,

These parts are unsuitable for my needs, at no necessary fault of your firm. I would like consultation on something more appropriate, if possible. I will give an explanation of the issues I'm having, and attach photos to illustrate. I expect I'll receive response regarding options for addressing them, if this message is directed to the proper department. If not, please respond with contact instructions.

Firstly, the length is one inch in excess, as the black plastic cap on the top corner of the pane prevents the balance from fitting flush in the channel. While I may find a different cap that would accommodate it, there is still the matter of the plastic foot at the bottom - shaped to protrude inward, whereas the frame is straight and solid all the way down. It will need to be replaced with something square/straight. If I recall correctly, the code stamped on the balance cartridge correlates with a quantity of tension, and I can give no input as to the accuracy of prescription.In any case, I will request no change be made to that aspect of the order.

Thank you for your assistance,

Jesse
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Jesse. Hopefully I can help out. It looks like the balance you're referring to is the one we made you back in 2011, which had a 19-002 top and 15-003 bottom. Now, I didn't directly work on your original case, but I do know the 15-003 is kind of a weird shoe only used in very specific circumstances. Then again, looking at your old pictures, your original balance had a weird shoe, itself. It is much larger than normal. Regardless based on what you're describing I think the 15-003 may not have been the way to go.

Looking at your pictures from that thread, your old shoe protruded inward, as well. I think the problem is more the degree to which it protrudes. What issue are you running into, exactly? Do you find there's excess friction? If so, the 15-003 is too deep at 1-3/16". One on-the-fly solution would be to shave it down a little to run in the track a little better. I've done that in a pinch when faced with a similar circumstance and it seems to work well. Having a larger shoe than you need may also account for the balance not fitting flush in the channel, but I'm less certain about that. Let me know your thoughts.
A handy person from Antioch, TN says:
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your response. It just occurs to me that the shoes are for gap-filling/centering the pane in the frame. I may have simply misunderstood their position relative to the rest of the window, as though they would need to remain directly against the pane in the channel - and that the shoe's protrusion was preventing that, rather than floating more or less, basically. I think I need to go back over to the property and check things again. I'll reply back if it still looks like it's not working, after possibly modifying per your suggestion, although I'm concerned about effects on return policy in such instance. Thanks again for now.
Profile picture of Tom
No problem! Let me know what you come up with.
A handy person from Antioch, TN says:
Okay, it turns out that I just misunderstood how the parts fit together. It seems to have worked out fine, as is. Thanks again for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Awesome, glad everything worked out. If you ever need anything else, we're always here to help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)