SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Truth casement system - I have part # 31272

A home owner from Australia says:
Hi Guys
I have 6 timber casement windows in my house - close to 20 years old. We are by the ocean - 4 of the "top stays" have rusted thru and therefore we are no longer able to open the window (as it will fall out). I would prefer to replace the whole system - is there something still out there that will fit existing holes/cut outs etc? If so can you enlighten me as to what I need? there are 3 left and 3 right. Let me know if you need any other info.
Your site is awesome by the way!
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! I'm glad you like our site. I think we can help you with this project for sure.

Let's start with the hinge. Check out our 36-013-10 kit. This comes with two hinges, which can be used either on the left or right hand opening windows or the top and bottom of the same window. They're also stainless steel, so rust won't be an issue. Just make sure the dimensions line up to your old one.

I'm less certain about the operator. It's hard to tell exactly what it is while it's installed, but I think you could consider our 39-415 and 39-416. These look very similar to what you have and have stainless steel arms, to boot. Again, just make sure the dimensions are the same. For these, you may want to remove your original operator to make sure they mount the same way. If not, show me and we can work from there.

If you have any other questions, let me know!
Hi Tom

thanks for coming back to me re these. I have checked further - more details below/attached.

The current hinge is 11" long and seems to have slightly different screw holes - not sure if this is an issue?
I have also added some more images of the winder mech. One the reverse of the mech is part number 45136.
Hope that helps.

thanks
User submitted photo of their window operator.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the additional images! Taking a closer look at your photos I think you should instead consider our 39-171 and 39-172 operators, along with 39-546 and 39-547 brackets. They now come powder coated to resist corrosion. I'm not sure about the installation holes on the hinge. If they do not line up you may need to re-drill them.
Thanks - after taking another look at the operators, I am wondering if 39-315 is a closer match. Its also possible the operators in the bedroom are slightly different to the lounge ones (the arm looks slightly different), but the 39-315 arm seems to match and the screw holes seem to match. what do you think?
The brackets on the window seem to match 39-545.
forgot about the "lock" on the frame - images attached.
Thanks again
User submitted photo of their window lock.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
39-315 is one possibility, but one thing I'm worried about is the orientation of the link arm. Keep in mind that yours is mounted on the bottom of the gear arm, while ours is mounted on the top. It may seem like a small detail but it is an important distinction.

The lock, on the other hand, resembles our 38-075, which uses the 38-089 keeper. Look it over to see what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)