SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Turning lever for 82-031 won't work with mortise lock

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
Hi I have an older patio sliding door handle that's not latching closed. I bought a 82-031 and the white center turning lever doesn't work with the inside lock. Please look at my pictures and let me know what I need. I need to get this fixed because my house is being sold.
User submitted photos of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Actually, I'm surprised that our 82-031 didn't work for you. It would have been one of my first recommendations.

Can you be more specific with how the turning lever won't engage with the mortise lock? Compare the turning lever for the 82-031 with that of your original handle set. How do they differ?

I'm thinking that maybe the mortise lock itself could be the problem. You might want to try this in addition to the above suggestions: uninstall whatever handle is currently on the door and then use a flat-head screwdriver to try to turn the mortise lock manually. See if you have difficulty getting it to operate.
A quick learner from NJ says:
There is a small white cover on the end of the turning lever that won't go through the center hole of the mortise lock. I took the white plastic piece off and it fit through. Was I supposed to remove it? It fits but the locking mechanism from the mortise lock isn't moving to latch the door. I just ordered a mortise lock. Im hoping that's the problem. Thanks!
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the white cover is part of the product packaging. It's meant to keep the part from scratching during transit. As for the lock not moving to latch the door: yes, it does sound like the problem is the internal lock.
A quick learner from NJ says:
Thanks for letting me know that it is product packaging. I am hoping that the lock is the problem. I have been working on this for the last 4 weekends!
A home owner from NJ says:
I installed the lock and it still won't latch. It's like the mortise lock lever is too short to reach the keeper. Am I doing something wrong? Why won't it latch closed?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, good to hear from you again. I see that you had purchased our 82-227 mortise lock and 82-053 keeper. I think that lock was a good choice, assuming its dimensions matched your original, but I'm not so sure about the 82-053. Did you purchase that for use with the 82-227? If so, that may be why it's not working, as the two are not compatible.

The keepers that go with our 82-227 are listed under its Related Item(s) section. Check out our 89-020, 89-021, and 89-021D.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)