SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Unable to Remove Broken Plunger Pins

A home owner from Florida says:
Most of our window screen plunger pins are not functioning. They seem to be frozen. The pins will not pull back or push forward. I tried spraying lubricant in the screen hole. The screens are about 15 years old but in good condition other than the plunger pins. How can you remove broken plunger pins from the screen to replace them? Also, once removed the pin seems to be tapered on the ends. What replacement part would I need?
User submitted photos of a screen pin.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You will need to cut off the black cap to remove the old pin. Your old pins seen to have a pointed end like our 70-219, but I think you might be able to use our metal 70-008. The only issue is you might have to file the ends to a point to fit in the hole. What do you think?
A quick learner from Florida says:
If I cut off the caps they should come out? I can't get the cap to pull back or move forward on most of them right now. The 70-219 may work but I would like to have metal if possible.
I was able to remove one pin that was in the screen that didn't have a cap on. It is 1.5" long total. In between the grooves it is 1" long.
User submitted photos of a screen pin.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! I agree with Paul, especially after seeing these new pictures. This is no longer available. When we were manufacturing screens once upon a time, we used the 70-009 and ground down the ends to a point. However you seem to have a corrosion problem. Take a look at the 70-219, which is made of nylon. That might be a better choice.
Thank you, I will try them!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)