SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Uneven threshold gap

A handy person from Phoenixville, PA says:
I need to replace the door sweeps on a double Stanley door. The kerfs are 7/8" on center, so I think this 58-189 sweep is the best for me. My problem is that the threshold (metal) bows upward in the middle so the gap on the hinge side of the door(s) is 3/8" and the gap at the lock side of the door(s) in the middle of the threshold is probably about 1/8" (+/- 1/32"). I am worried that anything which is large enough to plug the large gap will end up getting ripped off as the clearance narrows to almost nothing. The threshold is on brick, so my only option to fix it would be to remove all the door trim, threshold, and then grind the bricks flat. Can you advise? Thank you!
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I don't think it's a problem with the brick sill; it sounds like the side jambs of the door frame have settled. The problem could be in the settling of the header pressing down on the top of the door frame. You could talk to a contractor to get his idea on the frame settling. He might suggest removing the door and reinstalling it, which may be pricey. Another thought is, could you cut the center of the sweep a little shorter in the center to make up the difference?
A handy person from Phoenixville, PA says:
I think cutting the sweep would be the easiest solution (especially as I'm renting and don't own the house) both in time and expense. What is the thickness of the actual plate that butts up to the bottom of the door?

Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The plate that the vinyl sweep is attached to is 1/16" thick. The sweep itself is approximately 5/8" long. I would just cut the sweep a little at a time to make sure you don't cut it to short. A good pair of scissors should do it.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)