SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Uninstalling 81-280

A home owner from Illinois says:

I have a 30 yo glass sliding door from Chicago Door and Window. One roller is defective. The door appears to need an 81-280. How does one get the old roller from the door? I see not screws. Also, is there a replacement roller, if in the furture the 81-280 is not available?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
In order to remove the 81-280, you will need to remove the bottom rail off the sliding glass door to access the mounting screw, which is underneath the glass in the bottom rail. For a little help, look at our 81-023 and consider the diagram we show on its store page. The 81-023 and 81-280 have similar mounting screws, which you can see in the diagram. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for the 81-280 roller at this time, due to its unique style.
A professional from California says:
When I have seen this roller, it has been screwed in place up through the bottom. I have used a 81-023 roller and it worked OK. A shim above the roller will bring the screw in line with the adjustment hole.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)