SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Velus Roof Vent Operator

A quick learner from Atlanta, Georgia says:
I have a Velux skylight installed in 1987. It has a roof vent operator that is apparently 4 1/8 inches on centers. Do you carry that model? All that is broken is the plastic pin on the end of one of the wings. Is that replacement part sold separately or is it necessary, if you have it, to buy the whole assembly?

Randall Harber
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! That sounds a lot smaller than our 39-405. Could I see a few pictures of it? That will help us in our search.

I'm afraid that those plastic tabs are not available separately. You would have to replace the whole operator.
A quick learner from Atlanta, Ga says:
Thanks for your reply. The operator looks just like the bigger one, but is, I'm guessing, half size.
User submitted a photo of their operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! That doesn't look much smaller than ours. It looks like the holes are just closer together. Can you confirm by giving me the complete length of the operator?
A quick learner from Atlanta, Georgia says:
I hope you are right. The housing of the operator is 8 5/8" wide.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! Measuring the 39-405 Velux operator, our base width is approximately, 8-9/16" almost 8-5/8". That's pretty close to your measurements. Check the installation holes where it screws into the sill to see if they have 8-1/8" centers, which is what they measure on ours. Either way, the 39-405 is the closest match we have. I cannot guarantee that it will work for you, but it's the best place to start.

If you do order the 39-405 operator, keep in mind that you might need to order the 39-555 handle or the 39-550 handle adapter, as well.
The base of the 39-405 should fit into the window. I hope to check the installation holes where it escrows into the sill to see if they have the 8 and 1/8 centers you specified.

Many thanks for you help on this.
Thanks for all your help. The operator did fit without drilling new holes in the sill.

I have one problem left. The bolt that turned the mechanism and held the handle was held in place on the old unit by a screw. The new unit will accept the bolt but doesn't seem to have a thread for the screw to hold it in place.

Can't you tell me what part I need to replace the bolt that turns the mechanism, and will my old handle fit it ... or was this the problem mentioned in our last exchange?
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Based on your first picture, I recommend our 39-555. This appears to be the same style as your old handle and it made specifically to work with our 39-405.
A handy person from El Dorado Hills, CA says:
Hi Randall,

I have another thread going with Dave from SWISCO on a very similar sounding Velux operator I'm trying to replace from 1984. Your 1987 model appears to be the same width dimension as mine, 8 5/8", so I do think your replacement is a great test case. So, I have a quick question for you: Did the 3/8" shoes on the 39-405 fit in the window track?

My window track is 3/8" inside dimension so I'm just wanting to make sure the 39-405 model will work.

Thanks!
Nate
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)