SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Velux Skylight Operator Adapter, 39-550 won't stay in.

A quick learner from Oak Harbor, OH says:
Do you have instructions for installing this replacement part? It is the right part I need, but it will not stay in the socket and falls out. I have read a few general descriptions of problems with this part on other websites, but see no clear directions on how it is properly held in place. Perhaps I am in need of another part. A clip of sorts to hold it in place. How do I remove the cover to the box holding the crank mechanism? Thank You
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! To clarify, what end of the 39-550 are you having trouble with? Installing it in the handle, or installing it in the operator? In my experience, the 39-550 adapter just pushes into the operator. As for the handle, I believe it's secured with a set screw.
A handy person from Oak Harbor, Ohio says:
It pushes in, but doesn't seem to seat well. That was the problem we had with the original piece. What am I doing wrong? The original piece stripped out on the end of the hex that didn't seat fully.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like the operator itself is stripped out, as well. Before you replace the entire operator, though, try using masking tape to pad out the 39-550 and see if that helps hold it in. We sometimes do that in a pinch for this kind of operator and it seems to work well, though eventually you may want to consider getting a new operator.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)