SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Vertical Window Balance

A quick learner from Pomona says:
there is a 2740d marking on 1 end. The balance is 28" long. It appears that S350-28 is the correct slide. 28"

I included pictures and wanted to verify that it is compatible. I need 16 slides, but do not want to pay $12 to test 1 slide, when shipping for all 16 is around $23

Thanks.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Does your bottom shoe match our 15-004? Make sure to carefully examine the depth. It may be that you have the 15-005, instead. Look at the difference between them below.
15-004 and 15-005
A quick learner from Pomona, Ca says:
Everyone I have checked is worn down and so I cannot measure them exactly. The thickness looks as though they are the 15-005 at 1". The least worn down ones that I can find are not over 1" and the tightest fit window is just under 1". The color looks like the 005 as well.
Profile picture of Tom
The color isn't important, so I wouldn't worry about that. What's important is the depth. You will have to use your best judgement.
A quick learner from Pomona says:
One last question. What is the difference between the 350, 385, and 390? Is it just the hardware attached to ends, or are they interchangeable?
Profile picture of Tom
No, they are not interchangeable. The nylon attachments on the ends of the metal channel are all different combinations.
A quick learner says:
I do not see the combination of top and bottom that I need. It looks like the top is 19-002, and the bottom is 15-005. Do you guys have that combination? If not do you think the S380-28 would work instead?

Thanks for your help
Profile picture of Tom
I am not really sure if the Series 380 will work for you or not, to be honest. However, if your top attachment lacks wings, then there is likely a reason for it. There could be something in the jamb that would obstruct the movement of the balance if the top attachment has wings. I can't really say. It may be best to stick with what you have originally, but it's ultimately up to you.

We can specially make the balance you have now. If you want to go that route, check out this Custom Channel Balance Order Form and review the information. If it looks good, fill out and submit the rest of the form and one of our representatives will get back to you with a price quote.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)