Viking Window balance 20 3 KQ CALDWELL

A landlord from Portland says:
Hello,

20 years ago I put Viking windows in a bunch of my rentals. One of the window channel balances has failed. If I can get the right part I will buy enough to keep me in parts for another 20 years.

Your pictures in the catalog are a huge help. As near as I can tell I need an S380-20 BUT mine has probably a 15-002 shoe and the back of my shoe is more "pointy" than your 15-002. Will the 15-005 shoe (that comes on the 380) work where there is a shoe that looks closer to 15-002? Those little tabs are the difference I can see from here.

Thank you for any help.

-Doug
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hi, Doug. I'm with you, these channel balance attachments all look pretty similar. But, from my perspective, this situation is very theoretical. Let's make this a little more concrete: can I see your balance? It'll be easier for me to take a look and judge if there's a significant difference between what you have and what comes with our Series 380 balance. If you can take photos of both ends and send them in, that would be great.
A landlord from Portland says:
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the help!!

Attached are a couple of pictures. Using your guidelines it is 20" and 1/2". I took a bunch of pictures if you need more.

thanks,
-Doug
Channel balance
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks! I'm instantly reminded of our Series 395 balance, which has a 19-005 top and 15-001 bottom. I wouldn't worry too much about the shape of the shoe, since yours is close enough. The depth (or heel-to-toe) measurement is more important. The 15-001 is 1-3/32". How well does that match yours? When you measure, make sure to account for wear. In other words, your depth may be a little less than it once was.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.