SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Vinyl bead

A quick learner from St Paul TX says:
Thank you for my order of 55-029 vinyl bead. It seems like the original installer used some kind of putty or glue in spots to hold the vinyl. Is this common? It makes it very difficult to remove the entire strip of old bead since the bead is brittle and tatters easily. I have a bit of old bead that doesn't come out from between the window and frame and whatever was used to stick the old bead in keeps the new bead from going all the way in. I am trying a micro saw with some success. Any experience with this and possible solutions for removal? Thanks!
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hello! I'm happy you were satisfied with your order. As for the issue you're having with installation, maybe try a solvent like Lacquer thinner or even a little heat to loosen the putty. Just keep in mind that using too much of either could damage your frame or glass. Start out with a little solvent or a little heat to see if that will remove the adhesive from your sash.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)