SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Vinyl window pivot shoes broken

A home owner from Poughkeepsie, NY says:
I have about 10 double hung vinyl window with broken, stuck, or otherwise non-functioning pivot shoes.

It uses a block & tackle balance. The shoe is attached by cord to the balance. I'm looking for replacement pivot shoes. The current style doesn't work well, so I'm happy to replace them with a better model that fits into the same track. I can change out the metal pivot bars if necessary to match the new pivot shoe.
User submitted photo of their block & tackle balance shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, thank you for submitting your photos.

You may be able to replace your pivot shoe with the 15-135 Pivot Shoe and purchase the 15-043 Terminal Clip to replace the plastic shoe on the end of the string and still use your old balances.
Thank you Paul.

I'm not sure I understand how the 2 pieces (Shoe & Clip) work together. Would I fasten the cord from the block and tackle balance to the loop on the terminal clip, and then does that slip into the top of the shoe?

What type of pivot bars would I need. I currently have these 2 1/2" bars and will replace them if there's a better fit for the shoe 15-135

User submitted photo of pivot bar.
One more question. I see pivot shoe model 15-160 looks basically the same as my original part.

I don't think that design works very well - most of my windows don't function at all due to either stuck or broken pivot shoes. Would it be better to replace the existing shoes with 15-160, or are you recommending I go to a different design like the 15-135 for better window function & durability.

Profile picture of Paul
I would recommend you go with the 15-135, as stated above. The corresponding pivot bar is the Swisco 26-021 Pivot Bar, 2 1/2". Please compare the rest of your pivot bar measurements to that of the 26-021.
I received the new parts today

Pivot shoe 15-135
Terminal clip 15-043

But I can't figure out how the 2 parts work together. What do I do with the terminal clip?
Profile picture of Paul
The #15-043 is to replace the nylon shoe tied on the end of the balance string. To do this, lock the balance in a vise and pull on the balance shoe about 6". At the end of balance, lock the string with a locking pliers, then you can untie the old shoe and install the #15-043 fitting. To install #15-135 pivot lock shoe, see this discussion here.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)