SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

WINDOWS HARD TO OPEN AND CLOSE

A handy person from norwood, pa. says:
WHEN WE FIRST HAD THE NEW VINYL WINDOWS INSTALLED 10 YEARS AGO WE COULD OPEN AND CLOSE THEM WITH TWO FINGERS, NOW YOU HAVE TO USE BOTH HANDS AND REALY PUSH HARD TO OPEN AND SHUT THEM. IS THERE A SPRAY OR SOMETHING THAT I CAN DO TO MAKE THEM WORK LIKE THEY DID YEARS AGO? THE TOP WINDOWS ARE ALMOST IMPOSABLE TO PULL DOWN.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I see you posted this thread under the S600-29 spiral balance. Is this the type of balance you have? If so, then you may need to just relieve the tension a bit.

Take a look at our 75-006 charging tool. Using this tool, you would rotate the balance spiral counterclockwise. The amount of turns depends on just how much tension it has, but I recommend that you keep it to just 1 or 2 turns at first, just so that you don't go too far. Make sure to relieve tension equally for the balances on both sides of the window!
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
I just wanted to add that your window balances are fairly old at 10 years of age. There is also a possibility that the balances may need to be replaced entirely.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)