SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Was the 83-009 used on Fleetwood sliding doors?

A home owner from Truro, MA says:
The house has Fleetwood sliders and screen doors. This latch looks similar to the ones in place. Some have broken. Do you know if this part was used by the manufacturer?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

It is possible that the 83-009 was used on your Fleetwood sliding screen door. The 83-009 replaces a screen door handle that was used by several different sliding door manufacturers. If you would like, send us some photos of your existing handle and we can try to help you determine which replacement sliding door handle you need.
A home owner from Truro MA says:
I ordered your screen door latch number 83-009 to install on Fleetwood screen doors. The do not fit. The correct part (see photos) is only non-handed and flush mounts on the inside, but has a mortised latch mechanism like the part I ordered. The exterior half of the part I ordered is similar to the original part, but lacks the latch mechanism. The screww holes on the original part are 3" and the overall length is 3.5". The width is 1.75". I tried to photograph the mortised latch but it is a bit unclear. There is no exterior handle, because the extruded aluminum frame acts as an exterior handle as shown in the photograph.

If there is not an exact part, could you please suggest something that might work? Thank you.
User submitted photo of their Fleetwood sliding window handle.
Further to my inquiry of earlier today, would your latch 83-113 work if it were used only on theinside of the door?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Can you remove the lock completely from the door so we can get a better look?
Here are two photos of the dismantled handle and latch
User submitted photo of screen door handle lock.
You asked for a photograph of the latch taken apart. I sent it two days ago, but perhaps you did not receive it. Here it is again. The question is whether the 83-113 can work if it is used only on the inside of the door. Thanks for your help
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Please take a look at the newly added item 83-116, Sliding Screen Door Latch and Pull Set. The installation does differ from yours however, the handles snap together to install.
A quick learner from Vancouver WA says:
How did customer from Trurom MA solve his problem on Screen door opener. I have one just like his picture of 4 Aug 2011 which has broken and I can't find one to replace it. Your reply by Donna was on 15 Aug 2011. Thanks.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)