SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Weather Seal Options - Pros / Cons

A quick learner from Wilmington, NC says:

I am looking to replace the weather seal on all the windows in my house, as its all disintigrated. I found this site after googling for my window type (I don't recall exactly now, but I believe that it is a GX-1777)

I am trying to determine which is the better sealant:

Bubble Seal
Foam Seal
Offset Hollow Foam Seal.

Can someone provide me the pro and cons of these?

I live in Wilmington, NC, which is a beach community, so lots of sun, a good amount of rain, mostly warm weather.

Thanks in advance!
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Alex. Hopefully I can help you with this project. First, sometimes it's best to try and replace what was in your window with an exact match, be it vinyl, foam, or whatever else.

That said, I personally prefer bubble type seal as I believe it holds up better. The foam seal is, in some cases, a better insulator, but I find that the vinyl cover deteriorates and exposes the inner foam filling.

I have wood casement windows In my sun room at home that use foam seal, and when it went bad I replaced it with our 58-055 bubble type weather strip. I'm happy with the results and after a few years have yet to replace it.

If you want, send us some photos of the type of weather stripping you now have and we can give you some recommendations.
A quick learner from Wilmington, NC says:

Thanks for responding!

I'm not certain it matters from an insulation standpoint too much, as they've actually separated from the windows, so there isn't much insulation either way.

Is the difference in insulation significant?

Attached is a picture piece that I cut off this morning. Looks to be .187, and what was left on the sill looked like solid foam.

User submitted a photo of weather seal.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! That is a little weird, but take a look at our 58-182 or 58-183. See if one of these is the weather stripping you need.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)