SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Crestline French Door Weather Stripping

A quick learner from Rhode Island says:
I have a set of Crestline French Doors that have worn out weather stripping. I would ike to replace them with a bottom weather stripping similar to what was there before. I found several products on your site, but they measure only 1 3/4 inches, and I need about 2" to cover the inside frame and outside, which includes the vinyl overlay. I already tried 1 3/4" and it would not reach from front to back. I also do not want any stripping that would require my removing the door, because the doors are much to heavy for me to work with and reattach. What do you suggest?
User submitted photos of weatherstripping.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I believe that front piece of vinyl over does create a problem. See if you can pry it away from the door to accept the 58-176. You might be able to slip the front leg of the 58-176 between it and the door. We also have the 58-009 with no front lip, the 58-064 self-stick sweep, or the screw on type like our 40-003 and 40-005. The sweeps can be installed on the inside of the door so that they wont interfere with that out side lip.
A quick learner from Rhode Island says:
I have sent several communications on which weather stripping to purchase. Last question, is there much of a difference in protection from drafts with the 58-009 and the 40-005? The doors lead to a screened-in deck.

Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Either should work just as well for keeping the cold out, in my experience. The 58-009 has more "sweeps," but the 40-005 would be easier to install. It's your call.
A quick learner from Rhode island says:
I purchased two 58-010's, and cut one down to size to fit my door. The door had nothing remaining of the old weather stripping attached to the bottom, yet I was unable to use the product I purchased. It was screwed into the door, flush against the front and bottom, but door could not close. It was jamming on the bottom when the door reached about three quarters closed. I tried trimming the inside and outside edges of weather stripping, and removed the stripping that was inside the piece, for a snugger fit, but it did not work. I am going to return the one that I did not touch. I purchased the 58-010, because you recommended I go with a stripping similar to what I had.

Now I am considering the 40-005. We want to attach it to the outside of the door, so it is not seen and it covers the holes that was made when attaching the 58-010. The doors are to a screened in porch, so they seldom see moisture. The door swings into the house to open. Will this product work as I described?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry to hear that the 58-010 didn't work for you. The 40-005 is a good possibility, as long there is room for the sweep as you swing door into the porch. I actually used it on my own prime door when the clearance between the door and threshold were too close together.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)