SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Weather Stripping Needed

A home owner from USA says:
I was wondering if anyone familiar with the size of brush weather stripping for the sides of MI Windows where the sash meets the frame. Our house is only 1 1/2 years old and I had a window serviceman replace some with slight larger weather stripping, but was wondering if I could do it myself. So I talked to MI Windows. They told me it is a standard brush pile. They also told me they are welded in place and aren't designed to be replaced. The thing is, I had a serviceman that used to work for MI replace a few that were showing gaps. I just didn't want to have to pay for it again since the house is less than 2 years old. This is why I wanted to do it myself. Your thought and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
User submitted photos of wool pile.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Our 58-127 is very poplar for vinyl windows and seems to match your dimensions. check it out and let me know what you think.
A handy person from PA says:
Do you have one with the same base, but somewhat larger pike height. Greater than 1/4 inch. Thank you
Profile picture of Paul
Hmm... we have the 58-158. It is slightly wider at the base with 7/32", but it is 5/16" high.
A quick learner from PA says:
One more question. What is your advice for placing the strip in a channel that was previously welded. It looks like one side of the T channel was crimped making it difficult or impossible to slide new stripping in the T channel. Thanks again for your help.
Profile picture of Paul
Sure! I would carefully open the crimp channel with a sharp flat putty knife by sliding it under the lip, which should allow the weather strip in.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)