SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Weatherstrip durability

A quick learner from Mableton says:
To whom it may concern: Hello. I have 25 year old home with wood casement windows. The existing weatherstrips of vinyl (I presume) in most have become so brittle that they have torn from the (single hook) tongue (which are left in the groove of the lower sash); or they have cracked and fallen to pieces as the windows are opened and shut. I am looking for a replacement. I have determined the existing weatherstrips are most similar to your Malta style (55-170), both dimensionally and style (shape). In fact, the depth of the tongue is spot on. Because of this, I have identified two other styles: the foam filled (58-170) and the bubble seal (58-055). Which of these three is the most durable, yet will keep the most air out? Please advise. Thank you,
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I believe the 55-170 and the 58-055 will hold up longer. The foam types like the 58-170 do hold up well themselves, but not as long as leaf or plain bubble. At the end of the day it's a matter of preference. I myself would replace the weather stripping with the same type you now have. A different type or style might not work on your window as well.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)