SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Weatherstripping for aluminum windows

A contractor from las vegas nv says:
Swisco tech help,
We've got a client here in town with this (attached photo) weatherstripping in her fixed aluminum windows. It is a dense vinyl or urethane product and the sun has really decimated it, she has been told by local glazers that it is not available and has been living with it but it really looks terrible and she hates it. The house is approx. 17 yrs old. I found your site while doing a search for an appropriate replacement and your Tan 55-169 looks like it would work in a pinch, even if we had to silicone it in place. I'll need 23 sticks and don't want to order until I've done my diligence to make sure it 'll work. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin
User submitted photo of weatherstripping.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Kevin, we do not recommend using the 55-169 snap-in as a replacement. Please begin your search by taking a look at our spline section.
A contractor from las vegas NV says:
Paul,
This piece shown in the attached photo has shrunk due to the heat here but was at one time 3/4" on the long side. It was pressure fit into the 5/16 groove in the window frame next to the glass as shown with the long feathered end touching the glass as a seal.
I've checked your spline section and am not seeing this profile, we will have to improvise. Please advise as you are more familiar with your products than I.
Paul,
I looked more closely at your splines and found what looks right (59-067) however it appears to be smaller than this other profile.The total length of the piece I need from longest point to longest point is 3/4" and it has shrunk 3/32 to 1/8. 59-050 also looks like it would work, at least the size appears to be right, is it flexible or rigid?
Profile picture of Paul
Both the 59-050 and 59-067 are flexible.
Do you think that these sizes will work given the info I've provided?
Profile picture of Paul
Unfortunately I am not certain which one would be the best for your application.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)