SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Weight limits of black shoe

A home owner from NC says:
I noticed that the 1" white shoe is out of stock for the 40.5". All of the balances in my house are the black shoes. I tested out a 36.5" with the white shoe and it seems to hold the sash nicely, but it is too short. Since the white shoe is out of stock in the 40.5, I just want to make sure that the black shoe is going to hold a 25 lb sash without issues, since it is on the high end of the weight range. I guess I just worry that maybe that is why the old ones broke (every balance is broken in the house i just bought).

Thanks so much.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! The 1" wide black shoe for the S850-40 can hold a sash weight of 28 through 34 pounds. This may be too strong, unfortunately. Best case scenario would be that the windows are more difficult to close. Worst case, the windows will drift open even after closing them, and may even cause damage to the window.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)