SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

What color tip do I need?

A handy person from New York says:
Hello, I want to replace the old sash weights on my double-hung wood windows with spiral tube balances. Each sash (upper and lower) weighs between 10.5 and 11 pounds. What color spiral tube do I need to order? Also, do you recommend the 5/8" or the 3/8" diameter balances? Thanks, Jon
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
For wood windows, I recommend the Series 500 balance with the red tip option. You will also want to consider the 17-012 and the 17-007 clips.
A handy person from New York says:
I was planning on purchasing the 17-012 clips and attaching them to the bottom of the sashes. I'm not sure what the 17-002 clips do - do they serve the same purpose or do something else? In other words, do I need both the 17-012 and 17-002 clips, or just one or the other? Also, how does the length of the tube compare to the height of the sash? If my sashes are 30" tall, what length tube do I need? Thanks.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
I apologize for the confusion; I meant to reference the 17-007 Bracket, #X54, not the 17-002. I edited my reply above to avoid any further misunderstanding.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)