What is our next approach to correct a long term difficulty

A handy person from Rosebud, Australia says:
Hello Swisco
I have sash window. aluminium frame with double galzing glass installed (this is sound-prof double glass). The actual window can be moved freely without the spring balance installed. It is heavy, but I still need to weigh it (in the next few days, as it is installed about an hour's travel away).
Marking on the spring balance is 3050 198 0V. The S/B first installation is only 2~3 years old, installed in a new building.
The S/B does not appear to be broken, but the corner bracket on the window frame may be damaged.
The window has always been very very hard to move. When positioned it stays in place.
I a happy to chat with you by phone, skype, email ....to come up with a good solution for this problematic window.
S/B sizes are 31" and 1/2".
Currently I have been able to remove the balances. Manually moving the hook connected to the 'block n tackle' takes many pounds of pressure to make it work. Both units are not smooth to operate, and they seem like a 'rusted bit of machinery' when I get it to move -- only about 6 inches max ...not the 12inches I would expect.
That is my opening 'line' ....and I am looking for your perspective and assistance to solve this issue.
Gratefully
Richard
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us! This is a pretty typical balance, so I'm confident we can recommend a good match. I've narrowed it down to two possible replacements: The S380-31, which comes with the 19-005 top and 15-005 shoe, and the S385-31, which comes with the 19-005 top and 15-004 shoe. As you can see, the only substantial difference between the two is the shoe. You'll need to measure yours to confirm the best size.

Now, you mentioned that the windows have always been hard to open and close. This is usually do to a spring that is not the proper strength for the sash weight. You have the 3050 stamp now, which indicates a spring that can carry a sash weight of 28 through 32 pounds. Just to be on the safe side, I'd highly recommend getting the sash weight to confirm if this is what you need or not.

Assuming that your sash weight does fall in that range, you should be okay with another 3050 stamp. In that instance your balance springs are probably too old to function properly.
A quick learner from Rosebud, Vic, Australia says:
Hello Tom
Firstly the weight of the window requiring the spring balances weigh 12.15kg (about 25~26lb). This is our guide to the selection of the spring balance to model 3040 or even 3030.
Taking the current balance 3050 and testing the tension on the hook o one unit is 15kg. Thie was after I applied some lubrication (WD40)to the unit's spring making it slide easier in the 1/2 inch frame. (This tells me that the SB that I have is for lifting a 30kg window, and being totally wrong for the 12.12Kg window that is installed.)
This causes me to ask the question if the specification referenced by the 30xx numbers are for a pair if balances, not individual tensions. What is the correct specification?

The top bracket looks like the same as your 19-005 part. The foot or pulley end is neither the 15-004 or 15-005, as the 'hip' facing the window does not exist on the unit that I have. It may have been removed at installation, as both balances are the same. The photo suggests that the hip was removed in order to make the SB fit into the window-frame gap. Measuring the gap was 26.4 and 19.4mm. This then does not allow enough room for you 15-004 part to fit, so removal of the hip will be required. Currently both 15-004 type part has a width of 20.5mm ~~ about 13/16ths inch.
The photo of the corner window bracket shows that there is a 'step' about half way below the top, but that this step is flush with the edge of this bracket and the window frame.

In conclusion:
1. The SB that you recommend 385-31 with top 19-005 and foot 15-004.
2. Confirm the actual tension in the SB of 3040 or 30xx so that each of the SB is appropriate for a 12.12kg sash window.
3. How does the top bracket attach to the corner window racket?
4. Will the model provided be fully assembled? (My preference)
5. What will be the total cost of purchase of 2 SBs including the pack and shipping to our home address in Rosebud, Vic, Australia?

Regards
Richard
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us, Richard. I will answer each of your questions in turn:

1. If your attachments match our 19-005 and 15-004, then the Series 385 is definitely the best choice.
2. Spring strength options are calculated taking into account both balances. You would not split it in half or anything.
3. I'm not sure about that bracket in your picture. That's quite unlike anything we carry. I don't know if that's something we would be able to help with.
4. All of our channel balances come fully assembled and ready to install out of the box.
5. I'm not sure what your shipping would be, either; all our shipping is calculated for you automatically during the checkout process.
A quick learner from Rosebud, Vic Australia says:
Hi Tom
Thanks for your response ...

Would you provide me with a photo/dwg of the corner window that you generally use.

Letsgo with the series 385 and 19-005 and 15-004.

I will remain concerned re the strength of the window weight/spring-balance data, but lets go with the 3040 version to accommodate the 12.120kg window.

What is your payment method ... PayPal or ????

I would appreciate immediate action to get me these two items.
Regards
Richard
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The Series 385 uses any number of top sash guides. There is no one that they use. That depends more on the window than the balance. Nothing in our catalog appears to match what you have. It really is an odd one.

We accept PayPal and credit card.
A quick learner from Rosebud, Vic Ausralia says:
It's time for action...!

Lets go with the series 385 and 19-005 and 15-004 with the 3040 spring set.

I would appreciate immediate action to get me these two items.

Provide me with payment requirements ... and the shipping details.

Regards
Richard
A quick learner from Rosebud, Vic, Australia says:
Hello Paul and Team
Do you have all the information that you require from me to finalize the order for the pair of SBs?

Can I place the final order to get this to us ASAP?

I need to have this repair completed 100% by the end of Feb 2017. That means, that I require the SBs by mid month in the event of any difficulties.

Can I place the final order to get this to us ASAP?
Do you have a form(s) to complete the transaction? Can I have them immediately.

Regards
Richard
PS: I can ring you on the phone if that may be helpful. ... I need your tel number.
Profile picture of Tom
Great, glad you were able to work everything out. All orders can be placed directly on our site any time you wish.
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.