SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

What kind of Window Parts are needed?

A quick learner from Southern California says:
I'm hoping someone can identify the parts needed for this window. I wasn't able to find any identifiable manufacture numbers except for either the WW, MM, WM or MW on the window latch. The window is aluminum and from the early 1970s.

Unfortunately the parts in question are broken and I'm hoping the pictures could identify the replacement parts. After searching the various parts on your site I noticed the 17-058 and 18-034 as being possible parts for this window. Would these work?

The dimensions of the gap on images 6433 & 6434 (where I think the 17-058 would go) are 3/8" high, 3/16" deep and 13/16" from the bottom. The rail where the plastic clip should go is 7/16" wide.

The dimensions of the broken pieces (which I think are 18-034) are approximately 13/16" high and 7/16" wide. The rail where the plastic clip should go is also 7/16" wide.

Thanks,
Chuck
User submitted photos of window hardware.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I believe you may have had something like our Series 300 spiral balance with a 15-013 shoe. The length of the balance should equal the height of the glass, not the entire sash.

As for the bottom fittings, see our 17-003 and 17-004. You might have to drill an additional hole in the top guide (18-034) to match your window without it sticking above the rail.
A quick learner from Southern California says:
If Spiral Balances are needed how do they attach to the window? The 15-013 is 3/4" wide while the inside area is 7/16" (image three).

What is the purpose of the 17-058? Does it hold down the Spiral Balances or the 15-013?

As for the top part you're correct that the 18-034 wouldn't work without drilling. Is there a part that would work? I wasn't able to find part numbers 17-003 or 17-004. And should the top sash guide cover the area where the screw is visible in images four and five?

I sent a question on 30 October 2014 which is still Under Review titled "Missing window balances?" which shows pictures of two screws on the top left and right of the window slide area. Again if Spiral Balances are needed how do they attach to the top of the window?

Thanks,
Chuck
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The lettering on the lock doesn't ring any bells on who the manufacturer might be, I'm afraid. This types of window isn't made anymore after the introduction of vinyl windows. I thought the window might have been Air Master. Seeing as how the track is narrower, do you think our Series 300 balance with a 15-020 (5/8" wide) shoe would fit in the track? The balance is screwed at the top of the track and the 15-020 shoe (after three turns to charge the balance) locks in 17-058. Our 18-034 is the narrowest top sash guide available today.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)