SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

What length should my Series 850 balance be?

A quick learner from charlotte nc says:
hello, i believe i need a few sets of the series 850 window balance kits, i have attached a pic for you to confirm that it is the proper style. How do i measure the correct length of the sash? based on the pic, my sash is just shy of 32inches. what length balance should i purchase? 32.5 seems too long but 30.5 may be too short. please help. thank you
A customer submitted photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting!

Check another window and see if you can get measurements from a balance that's not broken. You may find an undamaged balances of yours measures 32.5".
A quick learner from charlotte nc says:
we'll i didnt have one that wasnt broken, so i went with your advice on the 32.5. it works however the balance sticks up past the sash. i think i needed the 30.5.
A customer submitted photo of a crossbow balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I apologize that you weren't able to identify the balance. If the 32.5 balance didn't work, then the 30.5 may. Again, though, without seeing a balance that isn't broken, it'd be very hard to say for certain.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)