SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

What parts do I need?

A home owner from Omaha Ne says:
The window is all vinyl. The channel is 1" wide. I'm not sure what parts I need.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It would depend on a couple things. First, what exactly is broken? The parts in your photo looks like the 15-191 pivot shoe and 15-150 coil spring housing, however these are for 1-1/4" wide channels, not 1" like yours. Can you confirm the size of your hardware? Carefully look over these two parts and let me know how well they match. If they do, and if you also need the coil spring, see our Series 160 balance.
A home owner from Omaha says:
These are the parts! The channels are probably 1 1/4" wide. I read that the coil spring housing does NOT come with any hardware. The flat-head screw from old housing should be saved. I do not have screws anymore. The parts that I need are for a window with NO hardware whatsoever. I have to hold up the window with a piece of wood and I got tired of doing this. And, yes, I also need coils but I don't have those flat-heads. Now, what do I do?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. You should be okay with the shoe, cover, and spring. For screw, we usually recommend our 33-300 assorted screw pack. To determine what Series 160 spring you need, you will have to weigh your sash on a scale and then divide that weight between how many springs you will use. For example, if you have an 11 pound sash and you're using one spring on each side, you would need two S160-5 balances (Which can carry 5.5 pounds each). Hopefully that makes sense!
A home owner from Omaha Ne says:
Paul - A great big thanks to you for your help! I just installed the parts I ordered from you and, after like 7 or more years, I now have a window that will stay open without me propping it open with something! I'm an older woman who can repair things as long as I have the correct parts. I can't believe it took me so long but better late than never.
Again, thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
That's great to hear! I'm so glad we were able to help. Thanks again for the order, and please let us know if you ever need anything else in the future.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)