SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

What size recommended for wool pile?

A contractor from Salt Lake city says:
A 3/16 " dado for the 58-001 feels too loose, a 5/32" dado feels a little tight. What size is reccomended? Metric maybe?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! What is the width and height of your original weatherseal? If you do not have that information, what is the width of the slot you're trying to fit it into and the height of the space?
A contractor from Salt Lake City says:
No origional weatherseal. We're re-habing legacy doublehungs. Routing dado in parting stop for wool strip @5/32" wide and approx same depth.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. Unfortunately, we don't have any wool pile that measures 5/16" on the base. The next thickest based we have from 3/16" would be our 58-158, which measures 7/32" base and 5/16" height. That may not work though if your slot is only 5/32".

Have you seen our 58-026? This woolpile has a stick-on base. Do you think that might be a better solution?
A quick learner from Salt Lake City says:
I must not be getting through. Not using 58-158, or anything @ 5/16" wide. Using 58-001, routing 5/32" dado, curious if that is the right size, (1/32" smaller than 58-001 @ 3/16").
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
We cannot say for certain whether or not the 58-001 Wool Pile would work with the 5/32" dado, as we specialize in replacement hardware, and mostly make our recommendations based off of comparison to originally installed wool pile.

The only thing I can recommend at this point is that you give a couple different wool piles a try and see what works best.
I'm sorry we were not able to help you with your project any further. I hope you're able to find a solution to this problem.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)