SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

What tip spirals do I need?

A handy person from St Louis, MO says:
Six windows all the same size. All my windows have red tip Balances. My bottom windows are 40"W x 22 1/2"H They weigh 30#. I need 5/8" x 22" Balances. Would the black tip be better for these windows.

My top windows are 40"W x 43 1/4"H They weigh about 58#. Can I use 5/8" x 40" black tip balances on the top windows.

My top windows have two 3/8 balances right now but because of the cost I would prefer to use the 5/8" balances.

Looking at all your pivot shoes I believe I need the 15-048 as my cams protrude out so I have a total of 1" thickness. The only difference Is my cams are black and yours are red.

Joe
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Can you confirm the weight of your two window sashes? I find it incredible that a 3/8" diameter tube can support a 58 pound sash. Have you ever had problems with it before?
A quick learner from St. louis Mo. says:
Tom,
The weights were what I stated using a bathroom scale. There are 2 3/8 balances on each side for a total of 4 for the top window. That is why I want to use black tip 5/8 balances.The balances have not worked right for several years.
Joe
Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I see. I'm sorry, I did not know you were working with four balances in the same sash. Please bear with us while we research a better solution for you.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you for your continued patience in this matter. Unfortunately, after extensive research, we have been unable to find a replacement for the balances you need based on this information. Could you send us a few pictures of the balances both in and out of the window? That will help us come up with a possible replacement. Thank you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)