Where does the washer go on the white mortise lever lock

A quick learner from USA says:
We have the White Mortise Lever Lock and the c-clip fell out. My husband used a special tool to put the c-clip back on and the handle now does not fall off when we open and shut it.
The only problem is that the nylon washer fell out and I see that comes with the can/spindle. We have the washer but don't know where it goes.

Do you have any way to describe where it goes or a tech sheet that show where it goes? The door works fine, but we would like to put the washer back on. Thank you.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The washer normally goes on the lever handle stem before you insert it into the escutcheon plate. Take a look at the video on installing the 40-049 handle set, that might help you.
A home owner from Indianapolis, IN says:
I actually have the Lawson Mortise Lever Lock 40-168 but perhaps the nylon washer goes in a similar location. I thought we tried that but the hole didn't seem large enough for the stem. We can try it again but if you have any more information for this model, please let me know. Thank you so much for your help.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. I carefully examined one of our 40-168 sets. To my surprise, the washer is supposed to go on the spindle on the inside of the lock. It appears that you have to turn the outside lever to the correct position then insert the cam end of the spindle into the hole in the lever handle. With that done, you can install the nylon washer on the other end of the spindle and insert the spindle from the outside (while attached to the outside handle) through the square hole in the mortise latch. Finally, lining up the inside lever handle, install your screws securing the handle set together.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.