SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Which Channel Balance will work

A handy person from Colorado says:
I am looking at the replacing two channel balances on one of my windows and I am not sure if the Series 380 or 385 would work since the shoe on the existing balance is 1 1/16 " X 7/8" X 1 3/8 " and both of these are a different size. The sash weighs 30 lbs. The channel length is 28" without the shoe and top. The number stamped on the channel balance is 86 27-6 LA5 CMC 1
User submitted a photo of a window balance cord.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Could I see the rest of the balance? I'd like to see the metal channel, as well as the two nylon attachments on either end. Thanks!
A handy person says:
Sorry, I thought that I included those picture with the original post. I did miss on thing and the metal channel is a 1/2 " channel.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, thanks for posting. I've narrowed this down to two possible channel balance Series: either our Series 380 or our Series 385 balances.

Now, as you can see, there is only one difference between these two Series, and that is their bottom shoe. The Series 380 uses the 15-005 while the Series 385 uses the 15-004. I can't quite tell what you have based on your pictures, though. Please carefully compare their dimensions to your own hardware and see which is a better match.
15-004 and 15-005
A quick learner from Aurora CO says:
The 1/2" and 15/16" length is the same. However, when I measure the other length I get 1 1/16". Does a 1/32" of an inch difference cause an issue. It is definitely longer then an inch.

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I think it's likely your shoe used to measure 1-3/32" for its depth, but it just wore down with time.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)