SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Which option to choose for my balance?

A handy person from CA says:
My sash weight are 36.4 pounds and 49.2 pounds.
Which option will work for me?

Thanks,
John
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, John! It would first depend on your channel balance Series. I see you have posted under the product page for the S385-26. Have you identified that as your balance Series?

If so, I would ask you to double check the weight of your window sashes, or at least the length of your metal channel. The strongest standard option for the S385-26 is the 2550, which can only carry a sash weight of 25 through 28 pounds. That's nowhere near strong enough to carry your sash weights of 36 and 50 pounds!

Please keep in mind that the weight range information for channel balances is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Hi Tom,

Yes S385 is what I need.

I put the sashes on a scale to see how much they weight. The sash length is 28". So I can use either 27" channel or 26" channel.

Thanks,
John
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for the information, John. I think you may be a little confused. The sash is not the balance, but rather the window pane that slides up and down. We need to know how much that weighs.

Also, when you measure the length of your balance, please make sure to only measure the metal channel. Do not include the plastic attachments in your measurement. If the balance is 28", you cannot use either the 27" or the 26". You can only use the 28". Please double check and let me know!
Hi Tom,
Like I said, I put the window pane on a scale, one weight 36 pounds and another weight 49 pounds.
Could you tell me the weight range for each option for S385-26 and S385-27?

The channels on the window are inconsistent.
Someone may have replaced the channel before and put whatever he had that will hold the window.
One of the window has 24" channel on one side and 26" channel on the other.
Another window uses 27" channel. Both windows are of the same dimension.

Thanks,
John
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. Having different sized balances in the same sash doesn't make any sense. Whoever did that repair must have been in a big rush!

What material are these windows made out of? Vinyl, wood, aluminum? Also, could you give us the size of the glass as best as you can; Width x Height?

Before we can give you weight ranges, we really should figure out what size balances you need. I'm afraid it's not as simple as just picking a size between 24" and 27". Let me know what this information is, though, and we can work from there!
They are vinyl windows, double pane.

The dimension are (WXH)
A: 32-6/8" x 28-1/4" weight 36.4 pounds
B: 44-11/16" x 28-1/4" weight 49.2 pounds

The picture shows the window with 26" channel.

There is an extra 1" at the bottom.
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! That's a huge help. I think I just need one last bit of information, if it's not too much trouble.

Can you tell me what the stamps printed on each channel is? It might be best if you take a picture of the stamps, so I can see how they're printed. Sometimes that's just as important as the numbers themselves!
Window A:
26-9 34# Caldwell

Window B:
one with: 86 25-9 IA5 CMC1
another with: 24DS 50L (left) 26DS 52L (right)

I don't trust the current balance because I don't think they are right.

I would rather go by the dimension and weight of the sash.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you very much for your patience in this matter. After extensive research, we have determined that your balances will have to be custom made, as none of our standard options can support the weights for either of your windows.

For Window A, please take a look at Custom Channel Balance Order Form A, which I have started for you.

For Window B, please take a look at Custom Channel Balance Order Form B.

For both of these forms, please fill out the Contact and Shipping information. One of our representatives will be in contact with you shortly thereafter.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)