SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Which spiral balance and bracket?

A home owner from pennsville,nj says:
I am refurbishing non-tilt windows in a house built in the 1940's. I've read almost everything about them on your website, but these spiral balances have no tip color...in fact, they have no tip! The spiral ends and is then connected to a hinged bracket that you then screw into the bottom of the sash. I'm having a hard time figuring out the correct color tube and bracket size. These are the measurements that I have. The top sash measures 23" long;the bottom measures 24". The tubes measure 23" and 24". The tube actually measures 1/2" in diameter, but can I assume that I would go with 3/8"? Each sash weighs about 10-11 pounds each. The hinged bracket measures 3" from the hinge to the end. Would really appreciate your expertise as I'm ready to go on this project. I have 10 windows to do!
Sorry I couldn't send pictures. I'm not savvy with all that!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. The sash weight is definitely the way to choose what color tip you need. That's all the tip color indicates: the strength of the spring. Please confirm the exact weight of each sash so that we can recommend the proper option.

Please also confirm the diameter of your outer tube. It should be either 3/8" or 5/8". Old wood windows tended to use our Series 500 in the past, which has a 5/8" diameter, so it's important that you confirm what size yours is.
A home owner from pennsville, NJ says:
The top sash weighs 11 pounds, and the bottom sash weighs 10 pounds. The diameter of the tube measures 9/16". Also, what size bracket would I need? As I mentioned before, the spiral has a hinged end that screws into the bottom of the sash. I appreciate your advise.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I see, thank you. If your tube is 9/16" in diameter, I would recommend our Series 500 spiral balance along with a bracket like our 17-007 or 17-012. The Red Tip option should be find for your sashes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)