SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Will 40-185 work on any door?

A home owner from Toledo says:
To whom it may concern:

I am in need of a replacement of an interior handle. The product code I have listed above looks like the broken latch on my current screen door. The screws are 1 3/4 inches apart. Will this work any door. I do not know who made the current interior handle on my screen door. The lock mechanism looks like the one on my broken handle has well. Thank you for your assistance.

Tom
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Tom. The 40-185 Interior Handle will not, unfortunately, work on any door. It is the inside handle for the 40-043 Sears Storm Door Handle Set, which is made specifically for Sears storm doors. Do you think this is the type of door that you have? Does the outside handle match the outside handle for the 40-043 handle set?
A home owner from Toledo says:
I took of the lock and it is a Wartian. I don't think it is a Sears door but I looked on Wartain's website and it says they make locks for Sears, Wartian, etc. The screws are 1 3/4 apart as in the diagram. Is there a diagram that show the back of the latch where I could see how the spindle is shaped that fits it?

Tom
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, Tom. Based on that information, it sounds like this might be the correct latch for you, after all. However, I can't say for certain just yet. I think at this point it would be best if we see a few pictures of your existing handle set. That would help give us a much better idea of what you have and what would be the best replacement. Let me know!

If you'd like to see how the spindle looks from the back of the handle, take a look at the exterior portion here.
Bottom view of <a href=
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)