Will 82-262 work for me?

A quick learner from Novato California says:
The latch broke on my sliding door handle and I am wondering if you recommend the 82-262 or another model.

My guess is that the doors are original to the house, so probably 1958. Can't find any sign of a manufacturer.

Pictures are from the other door that is still working. Let me know if you need better shots. What might not be clear is that in the current setup the latch engages/disengages inside the body of the door rail.
User submitted image of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I believe you have the "Ozark" patio door lock used by Capitol manufacturing. This handle is no longer available, unfortunately, though I admit it was very durable. Usually, the only part that went bad was the keeper, which we actually still have, our 89-001. If your handle does need to be replaced I'm not sure if 82-262 would work on your door. In the past I found that the 82-005 handle set was the best replacement. You would need to drill new holes to install the 82-005.
A quick learner from Novato, CA says:
on that handle I don't see how the flat bit above the hook interacts with the frame. Seems like I would have to cut some of the door to receive it?

Thanks for the tip on the door model. You guys know your stuff.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Are you referring to the latch on our 82-005? If so, it comes with its own keeper that you'd mount in place of the old one, which is made specifically to accept the locking latch you describe.
A quick learner from Novato, CA says:
thank you
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.