SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Will a 21" Series 600 Spiral Tilt Window Balance work where the original was 22"?

A home owner from Mechanicsburg, PA says:
I recently purchased two 21" Series 600 Tilt Window Balances from your company without taking the old ones out - so I would have the parts when I dismantled the window. When I went to replace them, I measured the parts and the existing ones were 22". I replaced the pivot shoe and got the window to work. My question is will a 21" window balance work as is or do I need to lower it by one inch in the window? It is not really worth it to send them back and pay shipping and a 25% restocking fee.

Thank you
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
A balance that is 1" shorter may end up breaking, eventually. The biggest problem would be that the sash would not be able to reach the bottom of the sill when you close the window, and forcing it down could break the spiral out of the tube. I would recommend mounting the balance down an inch further, like you suggested. That should be okay.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)