SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window Balance

A quick learner from Missouri says:
I need to replace the balances in 2 of my windows. I am the second owner of my house and have no idea where my windows came from. The only markings in the balances are 26 5 SV CMC on the left balance and
(01/3)UNIQUE 27-C-30 on the right balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I can't identify what balances you have based on this information alone. I recommend that you look at our Channel Balance Home Page and follow the steps in order to find the Series that best matches what you have.

Also, are these two balances in the same window? If so, then they may have been improperly installed. Based on the stamps, I can tell that they are both different lengths and different strengths. One window should have two balances of the same length and strength. Please confirm before you purchase any replacement balances.
A quick learner from missouri says:
Yes these balances are in the same window. I went to the balance channel home page and am still confused. Please walk me through how to figure out which balance will work for my windows.
Profile picture of Tom
Alright. We will need some specific information. Since you have two different balances in the window, I will need to know the weight of the window sash and the height of the visible sash glass. With those two pieces of information, we should be able to determine the appropriate length and strength for the balances.

In the meantime, I need you to follow the steps shown after clicking on the link I provided above and tell me what Series the balance is. Don't worry about the size and strength for now, just the Series. (The Series is just the combination of nylon pieces attached to either end of the balance).

If you can't figure it out after following those steps, please remove the balances completely from the window and take a few pictures of the nylon pieces, then upload those pictures here for us to see.

I believe you have non-tilt window channel balances. Check out the video below to see how to remove both the sash and the balances.
A quick learner from Missouri says:
Series 795. the windows are tilt windows.
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, I see. In that case, check out this new video below instead. It's not our Series 795 but the removal of the balance and sash is the same principle.
I am sending two different attachements so you can see both balances. The sash weighs 18lbs and the balances are 29 inches long. I hope this helps
User submitted photos of a window balance.
i also need to replace the tilt latch on the right side of the window.
User submitted a photo of a tilt latch.
sorry, the channel length is 28", 29"long if you include the shoe. the balance is 1/2" wide.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The tilt latches look like our 26-263 and 26-264. For the balance, I recommend that you consider our S795-27 with a 27C stamp option.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)