SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window Balance Identification

A home owner from Inverness, Florida says:
I need to replace six balances in three windows in my house, and I am asking your help to try to identify them. The balances are 29" long. The only markings on them is 28D.

I have attached some pictures, but they're pretty out of focus. I don't know if you will be able to tell from these pictures.

Thank you,

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Before I can offer an applicable replacement for this channel balance, I just need to know a bit more information about the bottom attachment. Please take a look at our 15-004 and 15-005 channel balance shoes, and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-3/32" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely matches your own bottom attachment?
A home owner from Inverness says:

Thank you for responding. Actually, it doesn't look exactly like either one of them. I'm not sure what you mean by the "deep" meansurement, but I measured the side that goes on the outside of the balance and it measured exactly 1". The other side of the shoe measured 7/8".

Does this narrow it down?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not quite sure I understand that description. Have you taken a look at the product images for the 15-004 and 15-005? The depth is labeled as 1-3/32" for the 15-004, and 1" for the 15-005.
Detail of 15-004
Detail of 15-005
Do you see what I'm talking about? What is that dimension for yours?
OK... the pictures with the measurements that you provided this time are helpful. Still, neither one of these models fits mine.

I will use the picture of model 15-004 as a basis for comparison. The depth measurement on mine is 7/8".

The other two measurements (15/16" and 1/2" respectively) are comparable.

Is this helpful?

Thank you again.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us! I've actually seen this before. Quite recently, in fact. Take a look at this existing thread concerning a similar shoe.

As I suggested there, the 15-005 shoe might be your best bet. I think it could still work, and at the very least, you'd have to shave a bit off to get it to fit.
The picture of the one on the other existing thread that you sent me is exactly the same as the one I have.

So I will follow your advice and order the S380-29 channel balances (along with the 15-005 shoe). I'm not looking for the shoe per se... I need the entire balance and the shoe. I will place the order via your website. Thank you for the information.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)