SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window Balance Replacements

A landlord from Champaign says:
Around 5 years ago I replaced the windows in an apartment building and unfortunately the window company went bankrupt shortly after the replacement. I have been unable to order replacement parts for the windows and recently the window balances have been breaking in rapid succession (the windows are unable to stay open).

I would like to order a replacement test set for the windows and ultimately replace all of the window balances through a one-time bulk purchase. I believe the 36.5" SERIES 850 CROSSBOW BALANCE (Product Code: S850-36) is the correct fit, however I am unsure if the length is correct. Also, I would like to confirm that the Series 850 is the correct series as well.

I would greatly appreciate any help or information you may be able to provide.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Would you be able to tell me the diameter of the spring for this balance? I agree that the Series 850 is close, but there is a special, extra-skinny variety of this balance and I just want to rule that out before we go any further.
Tom,

The diameter of the spring is 0.5".

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Cheers,
Michael
Tom,

The spring diameter is 0.5". I hope this helps!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your continued patience. It's been a very busy season! Can you also give me the width of the red shoe?
Paul

No worries on the response time, definitely understand a busy season!

The width of the red shoe is 7/8". The depth of the shoe is 3/8" and the height of the shoe is 1.5".

Hope this helps!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Alright, we were finally able to track this down. It will need to be custom made, because it's such a peculiar shape, but thanks to your helpful information we have everything we need to get started. Can you just tell me how many you're interested in? Once we know that, I'll email you a special custom balance link that will let you add it to your cart as if it were any other product.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)