SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window Balance order

A professional from Virginia says:
We received your order of the 30" series 775 balance. We had a difficult time putting in the balance- specifically the shoe. We installed the balance along with your replacement 2 1/2" pivot bar #26-304. In the install of the item we ordered earlier this month- the pivot bars will work fine- but we managed after great effort to get the balances installed in our vinyl windows and then have the plastic shoes break. Do you have any suggestions or alternative to the plastic shoe working with the 2 1/2" pivot bar? At this point we will need to reorder with you but we need to find the best solution for replacing the window hardware. Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
There currently is not an alternative to the plastic shoe. I believe the simplest way to install the S775 balance is to first pull the cord out from the channel about 6" and with a pair of locking pliers, lock the cord in place. Now with the cord locked in place, you can work in the shoe with out breaking it in the channel. With the screw, install the channel and lock the shoe in place. Lastly, remove the pliers and put in your sash.
Do you know what other type of shoe works with your #26-304 2 1/2" Pivot Bar?
I am sorry, I am little confused. The nylon attachment on the S775 balance is the shoe. Do you want to use a completely new shoe and balance?
Does the pivot bar work with a different shoe? If this creates a difficulty to install the nylon shoe (in a replacement scenario)- I wondered if there is a completely different channel balance that would work with the #26-304 2 1/2" pivot bar? This could make the repair/replacement easier-
I think I have a simple conversion for your window.

Parts you will need: Instructions:
After removing the sashes and old balances, install the new 26-304 tilt bars on the sashes and put the sashes aside. Now focus on the window jamb channel, first install the 15-179 pivot lock shoes (instructions on how to remove and install pivot lock shoes).

With the pivot shoes installed in the track, position them about 6" from the sill and lock them in place by turning the metal cam that the tilt bar fits into. Install the balances at the top of the window track with a screw and with a pair of needle nose pliers pull down the metal clip on the balance and lock it into the shoe (the metal clip is the 15-043 that comes already attached to the S770 balance). Now reinstall your sashes.

Note: you do not have to throw away your old balances if only the plastic shoe is broken. You can remove them and install the 15-043 metal clip. You will need a vise or locking pliers to lock the balance string while you change the end from the plastic shoe to the metal clip.

While SWISCO is happy to make recommendations, SWISCO will not waive restocking fees if the recommended product does not work in your application.
Would your (instructions on how to remove and install pivot lock shoes) also apply to the installation of the 1" nylon shoe with the 30" series 775 balance S775-30. I had not considered cutting an opening in the extruded window channel.
Before you go cutting an opening in the channel for the balance shoe I want to go over the S775 installation process again. One step I did not mention was to make sure the shoe was facing up when placing it into the window channel. To see what I mean, I created a S775 installation guide. Click on the guide and take a look at Step 5. Let me know if this works for you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)