Window Balances

A handy person from Urbandale, Iowa says:
We have vinyl windows with the name ALUMAX on the latch. The balances are shot and the old ones have no color code that relates to your chart. I think we will need the 600 series. The old balance measures 25" long and the diameter measures 1/2". Would this be your 5/8"? Will I need to weigh the sash or can you tell by the attached balance picture what I need? The pivots appear to be good or should I replace them anyway?

Thanks for your help.

Rodger
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Can you confirm the diameter of the tube? There is no balance I know of that has a 1/2" tube. I'm pretty sure it will either be 3/8" or 5/8". It could even be 9/16", but that is considered 5/8" in the trade anyway. Can you also tell me what the weight of the window sash is? That's the only way to determine what color tip you need. Finally, when measuring the balance length, make sure that you're only measuring the tube.
A handy person from Ubandale, Iowa says:
I have remeasured the balance tube and am attaching a photo of it. It measures 1/2-9/16" dia. The tube is a soft plastic and as round as I can get it. I have weighed the sash and it is at 18 pounds. Is this enough info for you to make a recommendation for the parts? Again, the tube measures 25" from the top to the bottom of the tube.

Rodger
User submitted a photo of a spiral window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! Based on these specifications, I recommend our S600-25 spiral balance with a Red Tip.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.