SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Window Balances for a Jordan window and an aluminum window

A handy person from Brandon Ms 39047 says:
I need help determining which window balance replacements you sell to replace mine with.Atttached are some photos of the two diffrerent size balances I need.

The newer looking one or shiny one is from an aluminum window with insulated panes 9 over 6,approximately 47" w x 70 3/4" tall, this channel is 1/2" wide x 22" long metal end to metal end.

The darker channel is from an aluminum window with insulated panes 6 over 6, approximately 30" w x 58 3/4" tall, this is a Jordan brand window, channel is 1/2" wide x 28 3/4" long metal end to metal end.

Please reply with what sizes I need. I want two pair of the 22" balance and 1 pair of the 28 3/4" balance. I look forward to your reply. Thanks.
User submitted photo of their channel balances.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
I am bit confused. The middle two pictures are of the bottom of the darker balance on the right? The right two pictures are of the top of the lighter balance on the left? Can you include pictures of the other attachments. We need to see both the top and bottom of each style balance.

Also, please include what stamp is marked on the metal channel on each of the two sized balances.
A handy person from Brandon Ms 39047 says:
The middle top photo is of the bottom of the darker/longer balance-the one on the right. The bottom middle photo is of the shoter newer looking balance on the left.You are correct on the right two photos. More photos below.

The shorter balance on the left has stamped on it:21-S30.

The longer balance on the right has nothing stamped on or inside it, I've looked closley.

Thanks.
user submitted photo of channel balacne attachment
A handy person from Brandon MS says:
Mike,Have I sent you enough information now for you to help me know which two balances your make and carry for me to purchase ?
Profile picture of Mike
Are there any markings on the 28 3/4" balance?
Mike,
There are no markings, no stamps, no labels, nothing inside or outside of the channel on the 28 3/4" balance. This balance did however come out of a Jordan brand window, if that helps any, the window was made probably 26 years ago as the house was built in 1985. Sorry that there is nothing else to tell you about it. Is the size, length, not enough ?
Profile picture of Mike
The stamp helps us determine what strength balance you need. Without the stamp we will need the weight of the window sash. Please remove the window sash from the frame and weigh it (a bathroom scale works well).

Also, can you confirm that the shoe on that balance is our 15-002?
Mike,the weight of the sash is 17 lbs. Also with the help of a magnifying glass, it was obscurred by discoloration of the aluminnum, I found this stamped inside the channel:2830. Also attached are 4 photos of the shoe as I could not find one on your web site that looked like mine. I trust the photos will tell you what shoe it is. I look forward to your reply.Thanks.
User submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
In most cases, a channel balance with the stamp of 2830 will measure 29" in length. We do not offer a 28 3/4" balance.

Since your shoe is broken it makes the identification a bit difficult, but it looks close to the Series 390 Balance.

A 29" Series 390 Balance will carry a window sash weight range of 16 through 23 pounds.
Paul,
Thanks for identifying this balance for me, from its part number I can place my order for two of these.I still have not received from Mike, please see my string of emails about these two balances,the part number for the shorter balance which has the stamp on it of 21-S30. If you would help me with its part number I can then place my order for all. Thanks.
User submitted photo of their 21-S30 channel balance.
Profile picture of Paul
We just need the weight of the sash from the window with the shorter balance and we should be able to give you the exact product code you will need.
Paul,
The weight of the sash for the shorter balance is 28 lbs. If you will convert that into a product numebr to replace the shorter balance I'll be on my way to ordering from you guys. Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Paul
If your sash weighs 28 lbs, then your shorter balance (22") should have a stamp of 2190.
Paul,
I rechecked the stamped numbers on the 22" balance by taking another one out and it too has the same 21 S 30 on it. So even if the weight doesn't match up with the stamp in your cross referencing I feel like I should go with your cross reference to the 21 S 30 stamp. These window sashes have always been hard to push back down into place, (easy glide but strong spring)which might make sense to you and your cross reference delima. I look forward to reeceiving the part number for your match to my 21 S 30. Thanks.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
22" Series 390 with stamp option 2130 will carry a window sash weight range of 12 through 15 pounds.

If your sash for the 22" Series 390 balance is 28 pounds however, a custom balance will be needed.

For a 22" Series 390 balance for a 28 pound sash please fill out the following form to get started:

Initiate A Custom Window Balance Order

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Donna I need confirmation of an OPTION number please. I am ready to place my order for the custom balances and one more pair of balances # S390-29 for a sash that weighs 17 lbs. What OPTION do I select at the end of my ordering on your web site ? I understand this relates to the weight of the sash. Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
I am sorry this discussion became huge and little bit confusing. I just read through the whole discussion again to determine what you need.

The longer balance you need to order S390-29 with the stamp option of 2830.

For the shorter balance, you need to weigh your window sash and determine if you need a custom balance or not. See Donna's post two posts above this one.

If you do need the custom balance, fill out the form mentioned in Donna's post. After you fill out the form you will receive an email from us with a custom item that you can add to your SWISCO shopping cart. At this point you can add the longer S390-29 balance to your shopping cart and complete your order.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)